Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Syracuse Athletics Early Morning Notes

First things first, news out of the NFL emerged yesterday about another former SU player getting suspended. Steven Gregory (class of 2005), San Diego Charger's safety, was suspended 4 games without pay for a violation of the NFL's performance enhancing drug policy. He's the second former SU player suspended by the NFL for violating the league's drug policy this season.

Tanard Jackson was suspended for 1 year earlier this season for violating the league's substance abuse policy. Of course, Gregory gave the obligatory "I was completely shocked to find out about this positive test" response to go along with "I have never knowingly used any form of performance enhancing substance." KNOWINGLY being the key word there.

A personal story about Steven Gregory. Junior year at SU I was parking cars in the lot behind my house near the Dome on game day for $10 a spot. All of a sudden I see a Jeep roll up and park in one of my spaces. I walk over to the patron and say its $10 for the game, and notice its none other than Steve Gregory. [Now this was a year at Syracuse where the football team would go 1-10. Under normal circumstances I'd be psyched if I could help the team in any way, even if it was just game day parking.]

On this day I'm already very upset with the team's on-field performance and Gregory tells me its cool that he parks there because he's 'on the football team.' I respond "Yeah, I know who you are. You're Steve Gregory, but you are still going to have to move your car." So after some haggling with me I told him he could roll his jeep up an incline in the back where no one would be parking and that it would be fine for him to park there on game-day. He got back in his car and relocated as requested. Steve's nickname on the team this season was "Toast" by the way. Something about being burnnnnned in coverage. Overall, I wasn't a fan of his arrogant attitude about being on the team. A team that would have the worst record in the HISTORY of Syracuse football.

So imagine my surprise when I find out Gregory cracked an NFL roster. He is a Syracuse guy though and I hope he can put this behind him and continue to be a player in the league. In 4 games this season with the Chargers gregory has 30 tackles (25 solo) and 1 interception.

In unrelated news, Syracuse Orangemen freshman running back Jerome Smith is out for the season. Smith injured his left shoulder on Friday in practice and it will require surgery to repair the joint. He appeared in the Maine and Colgate games on special teams.

Lastly, the NBA preseason match up being held in the Carrier Dome on October 15th between the Timberwolves and Pistons will have another added attraction. Aside from Wes Johnson's return to the Dome floor along with injured Jonny Flynn, David bing will be among 20 Syracuse hoops legends to honor Jim Boeheim for his Coach of the Year award he received following the 2009/2010 season. Boeheim lead syracuse to a #1 ranking and a 30-5 record to earn his first ever Coach of the Year trophy.

Also on hand will be Derrick Coleman, Billy Owens, Pearl Washington, John Wallace, Lawrence Moten, and Jason Hart, who will be playing in the game on a try-out offer from the T'Wolves. I guess that two SU players on their team wasn't enough. David Bing, the Mayor of Detroit, will do the ceremonial jump ball to start the game.

No comments: